Saturday, August 6, 2016

Makin' tracks with Jersey

My last hike was over 2 weeks ago.

While the ride with Tex last week certainly fed my trail bug a little, I was overdue for a hike under my own power (there is something certainly gratifying about enjoying some trail miles on your own two feet).

After another week of heat and nasty humidity (not to mention my consumption of not-so- healthy snack foods while being lazy indoors), I was ready to get back outside on a trail somewhere (I have become seriously addicted to moving down the trail--whether it's on a horse or my own two feet).

I decided as this weekend approached that I was going to make time for a hike....One way or another.

Not to go too far off topic,  but I'm in a bit of a pickle in terms of getting hikes in during the week right now.

At my job I work 2 months of early shifts (6-2:30) and then a month of late shifts (8-4:30). This is a late shift month.

By the time I get home,  get my house chores done and prepare to head out for a hike, I don't have enough daylight left to do anything substantial.

While it might make sense to do the hike first and the house chores later-- my discipline level isn't good enough for that. It's always been work first, play after......Always.

I decided when I got up this morning,  I was going to do a hike.

My original plan was to buzz about my errands, eat a bit of lunch early-- go on a little hike-- and then head to the barn for some horse time this evening.

What really happened was me staying up too late last night and not sleeping well. I only got about half the things done this morning that I wanted to. After eating lunch, I craved a nap.....and because I could,  I took one. I never made it to the barn. 

Nope, no discipline there.....

It was after 2 pm by the time I awoke from the nap, but dang nammit-- I was going to get my hike in!!

My hike of choice for the day turned out to be the flat, Fern Dell Trail at Mirror Lake State Park.

This is a 3 mile loop trail that begins off of a seperate, trailhead outside of the park. I have never hiked this trail,  but it carries an "easy" rating, so I wasn't concerned about anything.

Since its been awhile since I did a decent hike with my canine partner, Jerseydog,  I decided to swing by my parents' house to pick her up so she could tag along. 

Our camping trips so far this year have been disappointing in terms of doing good hikes (in which J-dog often comes along), so I'm sure she has been feeling overdue for a good trek as well!!

Jersey is about 10 years old now, and while she isn't a spring chicken anymore-- she still has a lot more "GO ambition" than living with a couple of retired folks allows her to make use of.


Here we are at the start of the trail and Jersey can't get going soon enough. This is certainly the highlight of HER week!

Jersey has 2 very interesting quirks about her (aside from the fact that she's a purebred, German Wire Haired Pointer and most people unknowingly think she's some strange, mutt cross).

Her first one is that she LOVES water.

....and not like a Labrador that enjoys pursuing a stick tossed in a lake.

Jersey will quite literally DRAG her human to any body of water in the hopes that she will be able to take a dip.

She will also play in puddles that other dogs will avoid.

.....and the J-dog is ALWAYS certain she can convince you to love walking in the rain as much as she does.

Her other, (very strange indeed) quirk is that she HATES having her picture taken. If you point ANYTHING that even remotely resembles a camera or a phone in her direction, she will go hide behind something or someone. If that's not an option, she will refuse to look at you.

We have never been able to figure this out as she's never had a bad experience with having photos taken.....

I have my speculations about what her issues might truly be (she failed as a hunting dog before being given to my father), but it would take too long to go into details at the moment. She has a shy (but very sweet) personality,  even though she has come a LONG way in being more courageous since living with my family. 

At any rate, the blurry photo above is usually what I end up with when I try to get a picture of her. All of the good photos my family has where taken "by surprise" when she didnt expect them.For the most part, there weren't any stunning views on this trail. 
...but I did get a photo of some of these pretty little, yellow wildflowers.  I'm still trying to learn more about the plants and the things I see on the trails, so I don't know what they are, but they are pretty!
....and of course there are ALWAYS interesting mushrooms to look at...
....mostly,  Jersey and I just trucked along.

To say that this trail was easy was a vast understatement.  Except for a handful of tiny hills, this hike was flat, Flat, FLAT.

The only challenging thing about this hike were the mosquitos. I got very few bites (because I DIDN'T forget the bug spray this time), but they annoyingly buzzed around my head quite a bit.

A short trail lover might be slightly daunted by the 3 mile loop, but seriously...I think just about anyone could handle this trail.

....and that's not a bad thing.

For folks who are complete novices to hiking, biking, or cross country skiing, this trail would be a PERFECT starter trail. 

I'm tempted to try a winter hike on this trail come winter.

For the most part, Jerseydog and I had the hike to ourselves. We only encountered a couple of other users. There were two gals that biked past us near one of the tiny hills. One of the ladies had a toddler in one of those bike carts behind her bike.

He was cute.

....and they seemed to be enjoying their ride.

I wanted to take a distant (unidentifiable) photo of them as they rode away from us, but I was too busy doing this when they passed.


This is Jersey 's  collapsible water bowel that I carry in my waist pack. I was busy giving her water when the bike riders came by us. J had been drinking and was momentarily looking up at the bikes when I snapped this.

While I can easily do a 3 mile hike with minimal to no water (except on the very hottest of days), Jersey cannot.

If I'm doing 3 miles, it's a sure bet that she's doing 6. Sniffing,  scenting, and backtracking are what she does because she's a dog.

....and I let her BE A dog. Heeling is fine in an obedience class, but on the trail--I feel it deprives a dog of enjoying their time out there.

As long as they stay leashed and come stand next to you when other users pass, I think it's totally acceptable to let them be a dog and explore (keeping watch for toxic foliage of course).

There was almost no humidity today and temps just broke around the 80's mark.

....and Jersey still drank a decent size water bottle of water. I think we did about 3 stops for her to drink her fill.

My waist pack holds 2 water bottles,  Jersey ' s portable dish, my phone, keys, bug spray, a small flashlight,  wet wipes, a small first aid kit, and other seasonal things I might choose to add such as gloves and a fleece ear band or a rain poncho depending on the weather.

 I didn't take a photo of it, but I will try to include one in a future post.

I'm not always thrilled to wear it, but I've been glad to have it on longer hikes and to carry necessities when J is with me.


There were a few pretty spots on the trail.  I think this is one of my favorite photos from today. The pines here were beautiful and the sunlight coming through lent a magical feel.
This photo isn't real easy to decipher,  but there is a little canal-like looking ditch on the right side of the photo. It expanded alongside a short section of the trail. It made me wonder if it created a small stream during heavy rains. I have no doubt sections of this trail could be very muddy in wet weather....
Living with retirees doesn't afford Jersey a good way to stay in shape. At this point, we were 3/4 of the way through the loop. J slowed to a stroll and only perked up if she found a scent or spotted movement trail side (in which case, she leapt towards the bushes with renewed energy and enthusiasm).
The final section of trail brought us up alongside the road (which is to the right in this photo). 

At least it wasn't ON the road...

but a bit boring nonetheless....

As I mentioned before, I might try this trail as a winter hike, but I'm not sure it will ever top my list of favorites.


...but Jerseydog enjoyed herself.  The only reason I got this close of a photo of her is because she is a bit tired.
Make no mistake, however, with an hour or two of rest, she'd happily go out for another few miles eagerly without complaint.
 
Jersey is one of my best hiking companions for sure!! ♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment