Monday, October 5, 2015

Griffin's Oncore Performance (in hurting himself yet again) PT 1

I think Griffin read my last blog post somehow.

....and decided the cool, fall weather was a decent enough reason to injure another leg.

**Big sigh**

On Sunday, I was in decent spirits as I headed to the barn. It was Tex's day and I was looking forward to my ride with him.

Upon arrival, I noticed Griffin standing off in the distance hanging out with his good buddy, Taco. The scene looked normal so I didn't think anything of it.

With my attention focused on Tex, I got him ready and started riding in the outdoor arena.

Our resident Dressage Instructor, Jessica, was finishing up some students' lessons in the arena and then had hopped aboard one of her own horses for a schooling session.

In the midst of all of this, we ended up making small talk while riding and she dropped the bomb that Griffin was looking pretty lame today...

Oh Crap...

I'd had a nice little walk/ride with him on Saturday (previous post). Surely, she was mistaken and he was fine. After all, horse training is her business and she has A LOT of horses to keep track of...

I rode Tex over to the outside of Griffin's pasture were he was now standing by the gate. I rode along the parameter to see if I could get him to follow us.

No dice. He just watched us move on down the fence. It's pretty normal for him to follow me, but I wasn't alarmed when he didn't.

After leaving Tex at the hitch rail, I grabbed Griffin's halter and went to investigate.

Sure enough, my poor old man was dead lame on his front right leg. Closer inspection revealed swelling at the deep digital flexor tendon. It wasn't balloon,  exploding horrible, but it was definitely palpable with a small amount of heat.

After seeing Tex back to his pasture, I immediately began cold hosing and then secured Griffin in his stall. Tammy gave me no indication that he had gone outside sore (which she most certainly would have if he had. She is VERY good about things like that).

....so with that, my assumption was that Griffin went out bucking and playing and hurt himself. His Stifle injury last year was caused by the same antics. Same pasture (which, by the way, he has spent almost all of his summers in for the 10 years he's lived at Tammy's).

Thinking it would be worth applying some DMSO, to the swelling, I jumped in my car and literally sped to Tractor Supply to pick up some before they closed.

The entire time in the car, 2 thoughts filled my already overactive brain...

What if I whack a deer?

Do I really want to get pulled over again...and this time, get a ticket (see previous post)?

Thankfully, neither happened, and I got back to the barn in record time. I liberally applied the stinky gel to Griffin's (still wet) leg.

Griffin already receives daily doses of Previcox for his arthritis,  so I wasn't concerned about pain management.

Having done all I could for the time being, I went home. Tammy agreed to keep Griffin stalled on Monday while I decided to see how his leg faired overnight with a probable (non-emergency fee) call to the vet the next day.

....to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment