Monday, October 12, 2015

Griffin's Oncore Performance ( in hurting himself yet again ) PT 2

On the evening following Griffin's injury, I was pretty sure of 2 things...

1) I would be taking some vacation time on Monday to go out and check on my boy.

2) We would be seeing the vet.

As it always does, worry managed to grab a choke hold on my thoughts and prevented me from getting much sleep on Sunday night. I can honestly say that at times like this, I wonder if I'm cut out to have horses in my life. I've seen so many other equestrians handle (much larger) issues with far more calm and grace than I could ever muster during even a mediocre problem.

I tell myself that the happy times still far outweigh the tough moments and  that it's worth it to keep picking up whatever pieces fall (both emotionally and physically) and keep trying.

So, on Monday morning, after a call to my not-so- thrilled supervisor,  there I was at the barn tending to my injured senior friend. ♡

I was somewhat relieved to see that Griffin's leg hadn't gotten any worse since I saw him last. Right away, I set to the task of doing another round of cold hosing & applying DMSO.

After Griffin was safely (but reluctantly) tucked back into his stall with a haynet, I phoned my vet to see when they might be able to come out for an exam.

The receptionist said one of the doctors was in our area and she would check with him to see when he could see us. She just needed to wait until he finished his current call and checked in. She would call me back....

So I waited....

and waited some more.......

I hid from Griffin's view and parked my butt at the picnic table just outside the barn. Griffin is a terrible "stall rest" type of horse. He must always have food and a buddy available to stay inside (Tammy's young gelding, Minnow, was assigned buddy duty for the old man. *Thanks Minnow*). In addition,  Griffin must also NOT be aware that his human is nearby. Once Grif spots me hanging around, he turns into a little whirling helicopter, anticipating that I will take him out.

He's a little spoiled that way.....

So.....as a result, I found myself eventually shuffling out to Tex's pasture in search of my borrowed riding partner. If I was going  to be hanging at the barn for awhile waiting for the vet, I might as well play around with Tex.  Staying seated  at the picnic table would only allow the dampness from the morning to seep through my jacket and into my bones. 

Grooming Tex proved to be a pleasant distraction to all that was churning around inside my mind. (The photo below is of Tex doing his part as my mental therapy horse on that day) ♡

I hadn't planned on doing any riding, but since the receptionist still hadn't phoned me back when I was done grooming, I decided a short hack wouldn't hurt and would help pass the time.

I can honestly say that for the FIRST time ever, I longed to be at work rather than on a horse. My reasoning was that if I was at work, then it would have meant things were normal. I was only using this ride as a distraction to pass the time while I waited for the vet (which, of course, was NOT A normal, Monday morning for me).

Tex and I only walked around.....or meandered as Grif and I usually do. I was not dressed for riding and my jacket had loose, shallow pockets holding my cell phone (awaiting a call from the vet).

Anything faster than a walk, and I could envision my phone taking an unexpected flight somewhere beyond....

Tex and I plodded around the arena, down the drive, around Tammy's house and the barn. It was probably almost 45 minutes before I finally got a call.

Dr. K would be at the farm sometime around 1-1:15 pm, but that wasn't exact since he was fitting us in. It would be at least another hour or so.

I found myself wishing I had brought food. The cereal I ate for breakfast was starting to feel like a distant memory.

Tex and I rode for a tiny bit more and then, not feeling my usual enjoyment aboard a horse, I finished...groomed him a bit more...and turned him back out.

I checked on Griffin (who was having a snooze after eating about 3/4 of his hay), and once again, parked myself at the picnic table.

The cool dampness finally started to penetrate my jacket and I got a chill.

Hungry and cold, I retreated to the warmth of my car and continued to wait. This was, perhaps one of the more miserable vacation days I've had.

Eventually,  my fellow boarder and friend,  Kris, showed up. She took pity on me and gave me one of the fresh apples she had brought with to eat. I was quite grateful...and darned if it didn't taste WONDERFUL.

Not long after,  Dr K finally arrived. Since there are roughly half a dozen equine vets in this practice, I'd never really met Dr. K before.

He handled Griffin patiently and gently and I immediately liked him. After testing Griffin's feet to rule out a hoof abscess (which can cause swelling that can be mistaken for tendon problems), he agreed with my thoughts that Grif had a bowed tendon.  Fortunately,  he also didn't think it was anything but a very mild bow and that it should heal fine.

In cases such as this, an Ultrasound is the recommended,  diagnostic tool, but since Griffin is (mostly) a retired horse and not, in any way, looking to return to any form of competition,  I opted to go only on a physical exam and treat accordingly. Dr K seemed to agree, all things considered, that this was a sensible enough choice.

Griffin is already on Previcox for arthritis comfort. Dr. K mentioned that the medication might have actually helped in this case for Griffin's injury not to swell too badly.

I was told to continue cold hosing and applying DMSO until the swelling subsides. Restricted turnout (since Grif is a terrible stall rest candidate) was recommended for at least 4 weeks after the swelling is gone. Tendons heal slowly, and it will take several months for a complete recovery. Unlike this time last year, when my boy did a number on his Stifle, I was also told that I could hand walk Griff immediately and that "controlled" exercise is good for the tendon. No trotting, running, or playing though..

I asked about wraps for support, but was told that Griffin's case was mild enough that he shouldn't need it (unless the swelling gets worse).

Dr K kindly apologized for not having better news (although, to me, the word "mild" associated with Griffin's injury WAS good news). He also said that for a 27 yr old, Cushings horse, my old man looked GREAT!

Did I mention that I like this vet??

After Dr K left,  I did the most sensible thing I could think of....

I drove to Subway and ATE A SANDWICH (I was hungry enough to eat 4)!!

***********

It's been a full week since Griffin's vet exam. I am happy to report that he IS improving. He attempted a squeal and silly bounce (which I quickly thwarted) yesterday during our walk. I've been walking him in his bridle just for this reason (as well as polos and bell boots for added protection).

He thinks he is 7 -- not 27....remember?

At this point, his swelling has come WAY down and he's pretty sound at the walk.

This is also the first chance I've had to write on my blog since this happened. Work and going to the barn have pretty much filled my days. A trip to my barn (both ways) adds up to about an hour and 15 minutes in the car alone.

By Friday of last week,  I was EXHAUSTED.  I didn't even have the energy to read my favorite blogs much less write on my own.

The positive side of me is keeping my fingers crossed that Griffin will continue to improve and we will be able to continue our meandering rides come spring...♡

Note to Griffin: Please don't pick ANOTHER body part to injure NEXT fall or your human might just go insane & jump off a cliff!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Griffin is doing well. You sure have a great writing style!

    ReplyDelete