Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Platform Dismount comes in handy!

Because I now have a bum elbow, bum knee, and a recovering bum back (Train wreck...I know), I wasn't sure I'd be able to ride when I went to the barn yesterday,  but I sure wanted to try!!

I decided I was going to do a little ride with Tex because he stands well for me to both climb ON him from the big, outside mounting block as well as climbing OFF of him.

Vickie (Tex's owner who is also an avid trail rider) told me once she likes her horses to stand at a block for both mounting and dismounting as well as being able to do so from both sides. She has taken some seriously long rides throughout her horse life (including Competitive Trail) and she says that being able to dismount onto something is a definite advantage when every muscle in your body is screaming after a long ride.

Knowing some of the rides she has done, I don't doubt her for a second.

I have practiced the mount/dismount using a block with Tex before & he does very well.

...and as I suspected he did well with me today. With my aching, sprained muscles, it was an absolute godsend to be able to get on and off this way! (Note to self to teach Griffin the "platform dismount" as well. He simply has just never been asked to do it).

During our ride, we rode solo in our favorite woods a bit and then did some work in the arena. We even did some trotting (and posting) which I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do.

.....and that made me happy!

Aside from riding myself, I loaned Tex to Jena ' s daughter, Jaxcin, to ride for a little bit (Jena is Tammy's sister. She has her own horse, Sky,  but Sky isn't quite ready for the kids to ride yet).

Jaxcin will be learning the ropes of showing over the next year so she can do the horse project in 4-H.

She spent a little time riding Tex and then hopped aboard Kris' s horse, Rain.  It is the plan that Rain will ultimately be her mount for the fair.

She did very well considering she hasn't had a lot of chances to ride.  Hopefully , she will get more practice in the coming months!

The top photo is a between - the - ears picture of my wooded ride with Tex. The next 3 are Jaxcin and Rain (sadly, I didn't get one of her on Tex).

2 comments:

  1. A horse with good mounting & dismounting skills is so important, especially out on the trail. I am glad Jaxin is getting to ride, so nice of Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to following their progress towards the fair next year! Rain is a good mare and we'll trained. With practice, they should do well!

    ReplyDelete