Monday, September 7, 2015

Cat Lady?

While having 2 cats hardly makes me a cat lady, I do have all of the attributes that one generally applies to (crazy) cat ladies.

The funny thing is that if someone had said to me when I was in my 20's that I was going to fall head - over - heels in love with cats, I would have vehemently disagreed with them.

In my childhood & teen years, I was raised a dog person. My dad never liked cats (still doesn't) and my mom wouldn't have really cared if we ever really had pets.  She doesn't dislike animals, but she's not a huge animal person either.

While it's true that I love ALL animals, cats were never on my high priority list as a pet I'd like to have.

.....and now I couldn't see myself living without them.

A sweet cat named Cisco walked into my heart many years ago. I'm going to wait and do a seperate post about him in the near future as he deserves his own special place on my blog (sadly, he is now gone).

My current feline children both came from the Columbia County Humane Society. They are an amazing shelter that truly cares about each and every one of their homeless animals. You can follow this link to their website.

I adopted Lukus when he was around 6 mo's old (brown tabby). Simon (orange tabby) was approximately 2 years old when I got him. I adopted them both around the holidays a month apart. Lukus is now 3 and Simon is 5 (how time flies)!

...and now just a few words about each (you will, no doubt,  hear more about them throughout my blog as they are both very special to me ♡).

Lukus was rescued from a hoarding situation when he came to the shelter (of which I am not privy to the details). He is an anxious fellow who got passed over numerous times, living at the shelter for about 3 months. His story was one of two that pulled at my heartstrings (the other one already had an adoption pending). I knew I wanted him from the moment I first saw him. He literally reached for me the first time I spoke to him in his kennel. While he is shy with strangers, he is quite talkative with me and the birds outside my windows. He loves to chase any type of bug he comes across and is 100% addicted to soft treats ("Nummies").

Simon was at the shelter for only mere weeks before I adopted him. He was a stray Tom when the shelter acquired him. He literally has one of the cutest faces I've ever seen on a cat.....and the roundest eyes....
We introduced Lukus to 3 possible "friends" when we went back to the shelter. Si was the only one of the three that made any attempt to interact with Luk.
...and so it was Simon who came home with us ♡.
Si is my extrovert cat. He blows me away all the time with how outgoing he is. He has actually helped Luk build confidence in things that scare him and the two are best buds.
Simon is also my harness cat. He walks on a harness like a dog (no kidding). He gravitates towards any human when we are outside. He would make an amazing therapy cat if only he would sit still long enough for someone to hold him.

Stay tuned for plenty more cat pics & stories in the future....♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment