Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Longing for the trail

Griffin misses being a trail horse.

On Sunday, I spent all of my time doting on my old man. I generally try to split my time between both of my equine charges alternating between each one.

While Griffin's semi, 3/4, retirement means we don't ride as much as we used to, it certainly does not mean that I don't spend quality time with him, nor that I would give him less attention than a younger, more able, horse.

I will never be the type of owner who tosses my senior horse in a pasture and mostly forgets about him. Every horse I own will always hold an active place in my life and my heart. My horses are my companions as much as my riding partners. Always. ♡

At any rate, Sunday was Griffin's day and I decided that we could return to the trails for a short time.

With me on foot....

I had planned on doing a short ride after a hand walk in the woods, so I saddled and bridled Grif and then we headed on down the drive..

We wound around the trees, walked up and down tiny bumps and hills and worked on single file teamwork through narrow spaces. Branches cracked loudly beneath our feet, but we paid no mind savoring the time together..

Ears forward and eager,  Griffin enjoyed the walk as much as I did. It certainly did not feel that I had a 27 yr old partner on the end of those reins!

Eventually we made our way back to the barn. I climbed aboard for a walking stroll. On a loose rein,  we did some figures in arena,  then meandered around Tammy's house and the outskirts of the other pastures.

As we came back to where the driveway goes toward the road (and the woods), Griffin became rather insistent that we go that way. The more I pointed him back towards the outdoor arena, the slower his hoof falls and less enthusiastic he became.

Grif was about as motivated to ride in the arena as I am to go to the Dentist for a root canal.

Once back in the sand pit, every time we got anywhere near the end by the horse trailers (which we ride between to go down the drive), we had a "discussion" about which way we needed to go.

Griffin clearly misses being a trail horse....and I think my walking with him in the woods reinforced that longing for timber filled rides...

I finally did let him head down the drive a bit, but not the whole distance to the woods (which he would have surely gone if I had let him)!

If only.....

You hadn't hurt your stifle so badly last fall, my sweet boy....

If only...

I could guarantee a safe passage through questionable footing with a rider and no crazy, joint blowing, spooks.

If only...
I didn't worry as much as I do.....

Hunting season will be upon us soon and our favorite woods will be off limits.

Until then, Griffin and I will just have to hand walk together more...

No comments:

Post a Comment