Wednesday, September 16, 2015

What is my camping style?...

In short, the answer to that question would be to have my horse along...

Since that is not possible with Griffin anymore, and I lack suitable, reliable transportation for Tex, that will have to wait.

.....and I am waiting rather patiently for that  dice to roll in my favor so-to-speak.

In the meantime,  I do non - horse camping with my family (and sometimes even go solo). I enjoy being outdoors immensly. I love nature and there are other activities I like to do that fit nicely with camping.

Reading, hiking,  cooking, and swimming are just a few. I also would like to try Geocaching one of these days.

At the moment, because I have my cats at home (and my mom has my handicapped father to care for) neither of us venture very far.

It helps a great deal that there are half a dozen, nice state parks within reasonable driving distance to where we both live. Even when you are close to home, it doesn't feel that way when you are out in the woods!

Since I've had a bit of a boring past few days, I thought I'd just touch on the type of camping I enjoy.

I am a tent camper, plain and simple. I did have an old Pop-up camper for a number of years which I enjoyed, but it eventually needed repairs that I wasn't skilled enough to do. It also costed more in terms of gas and maintenence to use. The most obvious drawback, however, is that if I ever hoped to horse camp in the future, it wouldn't be practical (I can only pull one trailer).

In addition to all of that, the Pop-up didn't really have much that I couldn't make work with a good, quality tent, so the camper found a new home with a co - worker's son a few years ago.

Shortly thereafter,  I returned to camping with a tent.

I am a bare bones, primitive camper in that I rarely need or use electric. I cook everything over a campfire, and I don't hang out "inside" unless I'm sleeping.

There is one item, though, that I don't do "basic" with.
.....and that is sleep comfort. I currently use an old, twin, air mattress (which I hope to upgrade to a taller model next year), a memory foam topper, sheets, fuzzy blankets, and good pillows from home. I like to be comfortable when I sleep. .....

I am just as comfortable in my tent bed as I ever was in my camper....perhaps even more so because I can stretch out (I am quite tall and my camper beds were small because my camper was an old model).

My tent is a Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow.

I. Love. This .Tent.

Next year will be my 3rd season camping with it. I purchased it as an investment to last many years and to be compatible for future horse campouts when I am able to do them.

It is the sturdiest tent I have ever set foot in and it's very well made. I won't lie and say that it was cheap. It certainly wasnt....but like I said, I see it as a good investment.

The only other drawback (other than price) is that it is heavy. Very heavy. I don't mind the weight since I only car camp as opposed to back packing, but it can be a work out to move around (especially if it's wet). The trade off for me in this area is that I have a tent that will withstand (very) high winds and heavy downpours. When you enjoy being outside as much as I do, there is just no putting a price on that kind of security. The effort to move and set it up is worth it.

The picture below is my tent. I also attached one of my dad's dog, Jersey, who is my constant hiking & camping companion.  ♡♡

2 comments:

  1. Nice tent and a very sweet looking dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, Lori!
    Jersey is a Germany Wire haired Pointer that was given to my dad (by a friend of a friend) when she "failed" to make a serious hunting dog which is what her breeder breeds for. My family loves Wire hairs. Jersey is the third one we've had!! ♡♡
    (Our 1st was actually a cross with a German Shepherd, and she was my 4-H dog when I was a child. Our love of the Wires started with her)!

    ReplyDelete